Sunday, July 12, 2009

Vodafone - Tired to Help!


Vodafone’s Zoo Zoo’s ads might have made more hits than twenty20 itself. However it has always been more pleasing to watch the commitment coming from Spike – the cute little Pug to the pretty girl - VODAFONE - HAPPY TO HELP
No doubt Vodafone Essar rate themselves as the “Most Creative and Most Effective Advertisement of the Year”

My eagerness to find out this commitment turned out to be a nightmare after I called up Delhi customer care at 111 to reconfirm my payment towards my mobile bills.

I could have avoided this, if had realised that I was roaming in Delhi. What was more surprising was the executive who attended the phone did not recognise my Vodafone no which was registered in Mumbai.

It was even more surprising to know that a Vodafone customer having an account in Mumbai can’t get much assistance in Delhi and has to call Mumbai Customer care at 9820098200 which is a charged call. (I believe this could be a new regulation from TRAI. This is what was told to me by Mr. Neeraj Dubey Supervisor on duty, Vodafone Customer care Mumbai). Another reason could be that they have more than 78.08 million satisfied subscribers.

I being a customer at the mercy of a service provider hoped to get some favourable feedback from the supervisors. However it was more disappointing to the call being dropped while being transferred at least 10 times.

Whether it was intentional or a technical snag still remains a mystery but I am at least happy to recollect the names of customer care executives in Delhi. Vijay, Shefali, Satyanarayan, Iqbal and supervisors like Vipin Kausihik and Ratan Singh. The floor Manager on Duty Mr. Atul Gulati did not care much on the quality control and my concern. Perhaps it was not that important for him to attend. I have no reason to blame if I had understood on my very first call that Essar Vodafone speaks different language and has a different profile in each city.

In spite of keeping a different profile, I sincerely appreciate the uniformity in the verbiage - We ARE HAPPY TO HELP YOU from the equally dissatisfied customer care executives. It is ironical to lean that they are always eager to place a customer on a short hold yet prepared to apologise for their long hold.

Out of desperation, when called Mumbai customer, I was fond that the IVR does not have the facility to reach the customer care directly. One has to complete the entire loop and think where to go next. The easiest way after dialling twice, I thought would be to go through buying a new connection and I was quite lucky to be attended quickly Why not have additional call revenue as well as a prospective client.

Vipin, the customer care execute in Mumbai was quite proactive and helpful and told me the payment has been received and my line would be activated at the earliest. The verbiage of course changed from 2 hours to ASAP as two hours had elapsed since I had made the payment.

I wanted to share my experiences of Delhi Customer Care with the supervisor in Mumbai and Vipin proactively transferred my call to Mr. Neeraj Dubai. Having an account in Mumbai I was hopeful to get a favourable reply. However Mr. Dubey was quite blunt and wanted to make it short and sweet to avoid any further doubts of any kind in future.

Mr. Dubey confirmed as per latest TRAI regulations a customer has to call up the home city for any major concern. He also clarified that it was not necessary for a Delhi customer care executive to recognise a Vodafone no. registered in Mumbai. I was also surprised to know it is no more mandatory for the executives to complete the interaction notes after each call. Most of the system based companies call it CRM; I believe Vodafone calls it something else according to Mr. Dubey. Whatever they name it, I believe customers should make their own records for the safety of their concern and avoid any discrepancy.

Finally but not the least one can be sure of getting marketing calls and messages promptly once you become a customer not only on the mobile but also on your alternate landline. I believe it is high time we have some Data Protection Act, if not the privacy of an individual should be respected.

2 comments:

sm said...

sorry that you suffered but dared to write it.
thanks for sharing this experience.

Aj said...

@sm thanks for your comments.
It is not a question of my suffering but it is how lightly we get used to things and take things lightly.

It is high time we are aware of our rights and fight for it....